Hand Foiler Instructions
These Hand Foilers are the perfect tool for automatically and accurately centering and applying the foil to the edge of a piece of glass.
- Remove all oil from glass so that the foil will stick. Grind off sharp corners of glass to avoid cutting the foil.
- To insert foil into hand foiler, peel paper backing away from Copper Foil approximately 4 inches (10.16 centimeter) and tear off copper foil. Hold foiler rubber roller side up (as shown in figure 1), feed paper backing (copper foil side up) first through slot A, located at opposite end of rubber roller (figure 2). Then feed through slot B until about 3 inches (7.35 centimeter) of copper foil is separated from paper backing. Pull copper foil to the other end and under the rubber roller. Fold the end of the copper foil to make it easier to feed under the roller.
- Curl fingers around the tool, leaving the thumb free (figure 3).
- Insert edge of glass piece between guides on the underside of tool. It is important to hold the foiler stationary while rotating the piece of glass. KEEP ROLLER PRESSED AGAINST EDGE OF GLASS WITH EVEN PRESSURE DURING THE ENTIRE APPLICATION! (figure 4)
Hand Foiler - US Patent #4,600,466
Foil Crimper Instructions
After applying the foil, use the Glastar Foil Crimper to quickly and easily fold the copper foil around the edges of the glass.
- Insert the edge of the foiled glass between the jaws of the Crimper and pull it around the entire perimeter of the glass. (figure 5) For glass thinner than 1/8 inch (3.175 millimeter), you may need to squeeze the Crimper's jaw together as you pull.
Mount roll of foil in dispenser or on a nail to insure a smooth feed.
If adhesive build-up interferes with smooth feed, foiler should be washed with warm, soapy water.
Crimper - US patent #4,599,882